TITLE: Digital Communications Manager
LOCATION: Washington, D.C.
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
Friends of the Global Fight is an advocacy organization that works to increase U.S. support for the Global Fund, the world’s largest public health funder, and support broader efforts to end the HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria epidemics.
Working with the Director of Communications and the Senior Communications Manager, this individual will lead digital communications; provide fact checking support to ensure data accuracy across all Friends communications; monitor the Global Fund website and other Global Fund materials for new content and data to incorporate into Friends materials; lead digital analytics and support broader monitoring, learning and evaluation activities across the organization; provide other writing and research duties as needed.
The Digital Communications Manager’s primary responsibility is to work with the Communications Director to develop, implement and regularly evaluate a digital communications strategy for the organization. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop content and monitor digital communication platforms, including website, social media channels and email newsletters
- Review technical/academic health and policy content and create more accessible social media content and marketing materials
- Ensure the website reflects the most up-to-date, accurate and engaging content
- Develop monthly analytics reports to assess the effectiveness of all digital communication channels and pull campaign-specific data as needed
- Create social media toolkits for partners and influencers and work with the Communications Director to develop social media strategies for campaigns and Friends and Global Fund content releases
- Build and monitor Twitter lists and propose opportunities to engage with political and health influencers on conversations relevant to Friends’ work
- Draft both quick/timely and more complex, research-based blog posts to promote the Global Fund’s work and related efforts to end the epidemics of AIDS, TB and malaria
- Provide research and fact-checking support to the communications and policy teams, ensuring that all data and facts included in Friends materials are accurate
- Monitor the Global Fund website for new reports and data to incorporate into Friends materials
- Work with in-house graphic designer to develop social media graphics
- Attend and live-tweet from relevant events; develop social media strategies for Friends events
- Perform other writing and research duties, as necessary
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience managing websites and social media platforms, as well as analytics platforms and social media tools
- Interest and enthusiasm for digital communications; ability to keep up with emerging trends and tools to inform digital strategies (for example, tools to identify influencers, analyze Friends’ followers, monitor relevant conversations, etc.)
- Ability to translate complex, technical information and make it accessible and engaging to a broader audience
- Experience developing social media and web content for policy or advocacy purposes preferred
- Experience identifying and engaging with digital influencers
- Attention to detail
- Strong time management skills and the ability to juggle multiple short and long-term assignments
- Ability to quickly develop social media content to join breaking news conversations
- Self-directed, with the capacity to work independently and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Interest in global health and public policy
- Can-do spirit and flexibility to creatively problem solve issues as they arise and drive for results
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three to five years of relevant professional digital communications experience
- Writing samples that demonstrate the ability to translate complex health/scientific or policy issues to a broader readership – social media content preferred
- Multimedia skills, and/or knowledge of global health issues a plus
How to Apply
Please send an email (with cover letter, resume and writing samples) with subject heading “Digital Communications Manager” to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Compensation: Salary is competitive and depends on qualifications, plus a competitive benefits package. Equal opportunity employer.